As an intellectual property firm, KASS appreciates the extraordinary value of data, and we know how important data protection is to anyone, regardless of whether you are individual or a multinational corporation. Accordingly, we constantly work hard to keep all information and data entrusted to us secure.
The Personal Data Protection Act 2010 (“the PDPA”) was passed by the Malaysian government to regulate the use and processing of Personal Data in commercial transactions by various types of business entities. As part of our exercise to comply with the PDPA, this notice will explain to you how we process the Personal Data that we collect and what your rights are in relation to how your Personal Data is stored or used.
How was your Personal Data collected?
From time to time we collect Personal Data in the conduct of our daily business. The data may be collected in the following way (non-exhaustive):
- general enquiries;
- from our affiliates and associates;
- during meetings, networking events, conferences and exhibitions;
- from our websites;
- from information freely available to the public, (e.g., government gazettes, MyIPO website, WIPO website);
- from persons related to you or your organization;
- from details provided by you pursuant to your instructions to us to file trademark, patent or industrial design applications or conduct searches.
What Personal Data did we collect?
The Personal Data that we collect may include your name, nationality, address, e-mail address, I/C number, telephone number, employment details, date of birth, and all necessary information incidental to our business.
Why was your Personal Data collected?
We collect your Personal Data for the following purposes:
- in the performance of our services to you;
- to keep you informed of any interesting and relevant developments in the field of IP, Science and Business;
- for handling enquiries;
- for promoting/marketing our services;
- for carrying out surveys, research and analysis to help us serve you better;
- in the performance of our duty as conferred or imposed by any laws or regulations;
- to file trademark, patent or industrial design rights applications; and
- any other needs which are incidental to the performance of our services/duty.
Who has access to your Personal Data?
We will only disclose your Personal Data on a need to know basis to the following persons:
- our staff;
- our consultants, lawyers, advisors, accountants, auditors, foreign associates, insurers, third party service providers who are under a duty of confidentiality to us; and
- all other persons and governmental/non-governmental bodies whose services are necessary and incidental to the conduct of our business.
Kindly note that by disclosing your Personal Data to us, you are consenting to the collection, use and processing of your Personal Data in the manners or purposes that are stated herein.
What are your rights?
You have the right of access to your Personal Data that is held by us and you will be able to correct that personal data if the personal data is inaccurate, incomplete, misleading or not up-to-date. You also have the right to restrict the manner and purpose which your Personal Data is used or to request the removal of your Personal Data from our database.
If you have any questions or concerns about the use and processing of your Personal Data by us, please feel free to contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Latest posts by KASS (see all)
- PERSONAL DATA PROTECTION ACT NOTICE - January 2, 2014
- [The Edge Malaysia] China Establishing Its Own Technology Base - December 7, 2011