Mark your calendars! The soft opening commencement date for trademark registration in Myanmar has been officially announced!
Starting 1 October 2020, all trademark owners with previous filings at the Office of Registration of Deeds can re-register their trademarks under the new trademark law.
[APPROACH 1] Trademarks that have not yet been filed at the Office of Registration of Deeds
Based on the above, the cut-off date for recording your trademark at the Office of Registration of Deeds to take advantage of the priority right is at the end of the soft opening period (yet to be determined).
As 1 October 2020 marks the beginning of the transition period from the current system to the new trademark law, we urge you to provide your instructions and required documents to us as soon as possible to avoid delays or obstacles in the trademark registration process.
[APPROACH 2] Trademarks that have already been filed at the Office of Registration of Deeds
Ready to get your trademarks filed under the new trademark law? The required documents for us to assist you with the re-registration are as follows:
- The presentation of the Trademark(s)
- Owner’s name and address
- The appropriate class(es)
- Description of Goods/Services
- Evidence of previous registration or renewal in Myanmar (original copy of Trademark Certificate, i.e. Declaration of Ownership stamped and endorsed by the Office of Registration of Deeds)
- Publication of trademark ownership in any newspaper
- Evidence of use (in the absence of Trademark Certificate)
- Evidence of change of name or address for the application as recorded with the Office of Registration of Deeds (if any)
- Deed of Assignment as recorded with the Office of Registration of Deeds (if any)
- TM2 form (Appointment of Representatives)
- Additional evidence may be requested, based on the discretion of the registrar
Information regarding the fees can be found here: https://www.kass.com.my/news/myanmar-latest-updates-for-brand-owners/
We look forward to receiving your instructions for the soft opening period as soon as possible to ensure that your trademark rights are adequately protected in Myanmar. If you have further questions or concerns, please direct them to firstname.lastname@example.org.