By Amir Murshidi
The Intellectual Property Office of Singapore (IPOS) stepped up in the IP world when it introduced the SG Patent Fast Track programme on 4 May 2020. Under the programme, patent applications in all technology fields can be granted in as fast as 6 months, provided that the applications are first filed in Singapore.
Beginning 1 September 2020, IPOS has augmented the programme to include the acceleration of trademark and registered design applications. The programme is now known as the SG IP Fast Track. The salient points to note are as follows:
What is the duration of the SG IP Fast Track programme?
This pilot programme will end on 29 April 2022.
What are the acceleration timelines?
What are the Official Fees for requesting an acceleration application?
Until further notice, there are no Official Fees currently.
Is there a limit of applications filed under the SG IP Fast Track?
What are the requirements for requesting an acceleration application?
- The Applicant must have a patent application placed on SG IP Fast Track.
- The trademark and registered design applications must be filed within 1 month from the notification that the Applicant’s patent application has been placed on SG IP Fast Track. However, it is not necessary for the applications to be filed on the same date.
- The registered design applications and specification of goods and/or services of the trademark applications must be related to the patent application which has been placed on SG IP Fast Track.
The above are amongst the criteria needed. The requirements for patent applications remain unchanged as per previous SG Patent Fast Track. Should you need further information and detailed requirements of the SG IP Fast Track programme, please do not hesitate to contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Briefly, this is an opportunity IP owners should seize to expedite the registration process of their patents, trademarks and designs in Singapore, especially since the former will be on a first come, first served basis.
- ABCs of Trademarks - November 23, 2020
- [5 NOVEMBER 2020] FREE WEBINAR on IP Rights in the Era of Industrial Revolution 4.0 - October 26, 2020
- [MGCC Perspectives] KASS Ends 2019 With A Bang(kok) Office! - October 21, 2020